The Information Privacy Expert Panel has a strong input into the development and monitoring of Data Protection issues in the UK.
The Panel's principal functions include:-
- monitoring the current UK Data Protection legislation, making representation to government, the Information Commissioner, and other bodies as appropriate, and offering views on proposed changes
- monitoring legislation proposed by the EU and offering views on the likely changes
- acting as a focal point, in relation to Data Protection matters for other learned and professional societies
- attending to the public interest in Data Protection of individuals and small organisations
- assisting with the harmonisation of Data Protection activity within Europe, particularly in relation to CEPIS over European Data Protection issues
- continuing interest and involvement in global Data Protection issues